12 Dishes Safe to Clean in a DishwasherPosted:
There were 24.5 million dishwashers sold in 2016. In today’s world, most American households own one.
Dishwashers are convenient and environmentally-friendly. They make the lengthy task of washing dishes simple. Unfortunately, many homeowners are using this appliance for items that aren’t safe to clean in a dishwasher.
Continue reading to find out what dishes are safe to clean in a dishwasher. Also learn about non-dish items you can wash, as well as what needs to be hand washed.
12 Dishes Safe to Clean in a Dishwasher
Most homeowners don’t realize there are limits on what your dishwasher can do. Some things aren’t safe to clean in a dishwasher for varying reasons. Those are talked about below.
But what is safe to clean in a dishwasher? These twelve dishes are. Note that some of them are only safe to clean on the top shelf of a dishwasher, away from the hottest water.
- Toddler cups and bottles (top shelf only)
- Sturdy, thick drinking glasses
- Ceramic coffee cups
- Forks and spoons (heavy plastic and metal)
- Gallon and half-gallon drink pitchers (heavy plastic only, not glass)
- Ceramic plates (see restrictions below)
- Ceramic bowls (see restrictions below)
- Thick glass and ceramic cookware
- Microwave trays (plastic and heavy glass, not thin glass)
- Turkey broiler and drip trays
- Cutting boards made of sturdy plastics or thick glass
- Plastic storage containers and lids (on the top shelf only)
On an interesting note, there are plenty of things you can put in a dishwasher that isn’t dishes. A few of these include:
- Baby toys
- sponges and cleaning brushes
- small wastebaskets (like the one in your bathroom)
- globes from light fixtures
- golf balls
- shin guards and similar sports equipment (but skip the dry cycle)
- car cup holders (if they’re removable)
- metal vent covers
- plastic fridge shelves and doors
- vacuum cleaner attachments
Things That Aren’t Safe to Clean in a Dishwasher
Many homeowners learn the hard way about what isn’t safe to clean in a dishwasher. Don’t let that be you. The following items aren’t safe to clean in a dishwasher.
Cast-Iron Skillets: Washing into the dishwasher will cause them to rust. It will also wash away any seasonings in the pan.
Wood: High heat and prolonged water exposure will cause wood to warp. This includes cutting boards and mixing spoons.
China and Other Delicate Glassware: These will break in the dishwasher. The broken shards can also damage the inside of your appliance.
Dishes with Gold Trim: These are usually delicate, so they might shatter. Otherwise, the gold trim will flake off. This can clog your dishwasher’s drain.
Insulated Travel Mugs: These work because of a vacuum seal between the outside and inside layers. The high heat of the dishwasher will break this vacuum seal so they no longer work.
For More Information
Although several things aren’t safe to put in a dishwasher, there are even more that are. For more information on items that are safe to clean in a dishwasher, check out our other blogs.
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and would like it removed please contact email@example.com