‘Nobody should be hungry.” Community Food Bank continues legacy in NJPosted: Updated:
A community organization has been helping to keep the people of New Jersey from being hungry for the past 45 years.
The Community Food Bank of New Jersey continues to play an important role in the daily lives of those living in the Garden State, especially as the cost of living grows in New Jersey.
The organization’s warehouse in Hillside is filled with pallets of food for Thanksgiving. There is peanut butter, rice, pies and 6,000 turkeys. It will all be going to about 45 different food pantries in Essex and Bergen counties.
"Nobody in Bergen County should be hungry,” says Karen McEvoy of Helping Hands Food Pantry in Teaneck.
Most of the food in the warehouse will be gone by Tuesday. Representatives from several food banks were at the warehouse Monday to pick up food, including Circle of Life Food Pantry in Newark and GRACE’s food pantry in Summit.
"At least 25% of households in Summit experience food insecurity or what would be considered working poverty,” says GRACE representative Amanda Black.
Officials say that 900,000 New Jerseyans in 16 counties are fed by food collected by the Community Food Bank.
“Forty-five years ago, maybe 3 or 5% of families were people working. Today more than half of our families have someone that's employed,” says Community Food Bank CEO Carlos Rodriguez.
Rodriguez also notes that 51% of all jobs in the state pay less than $20 per hour.
“So, the need isn't slowing, the racks stay filled with food. We see it now because of the Thanksgiving holiday, which revolves around food. The goal is for all of us to see those in need year-round just as the Community Food Bank has done for years,” he says.
By the end of November, the Community Food Bank will have handed out 25,000 turkeys.
- President Donald Trump gave an update on the coronavirus pandemic from the White House Rose Garden Sunday evening.
- Nearly 200 students will graduate Rutgers New Jersey Medical School a month early.Nearly 200 students will graduate Rutgers New Jersey Medical School a month early.
- If you are experiencing symptoms or think you may have been exposed to coronaivurs, here is a list of coronavirus testing sites in the tri-state area.If you are experiencing symptoms or think you may have been exposed to coronaivurs, here is a list of coronavirus testing sites in the tri-state area.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a domestic travel advisory for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to try to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- The Hoboken Office of Emergency Management and Mayor Ravi Bhalla announced a two-week closure of all Hoboken parks prevent the spread of COVID-19.The Hoboken Office of Emergency Management and Mayor Ravi Bhalla announced a two-week closure of all Hoboken parks prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Pregnant women in New York will not have to endure labor alone.Pregnant women in New York will not have to endure labor alone.
- Taco Bell will be handing out free tacos Tuesday as a way to thank people for showing up for their communities amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Millions of Americans could be infected by the coronavirus and 100,000 to 200,000 could die, the U.S. government's top infectious-disease expert warned Sunday.
- The Rhode Island National Guard started going door to door on Saturday in coastal areas to inform any New Yorkers who may have come to the state that they must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- The Knicks announced Dolan’s diagnosis Saturday night. It is not clear when he was tested or when he received the diagnosis.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding.News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com! Use the #NJBirthdaySmiles on Instagram or Twitter.It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com! Use the #NJBirthdaySmiles on Instagram or Twitter.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- Here's the concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.