Suffolk drivers call out legislators over 'outrageous' red light camera programPosted: Updated:
More than two dozen Suffolk County residents spoke out Tuesday against a bill to extend a controversial red light camera program.
Drivers say the ticket fees are ridiculous and that there are problems with the program.
"I don't know how any politician who votes in favor of this law--with its outrageous fines and other flaws--can look herself or himself in the mirror and not feel ashamed of what he or she has done," said McGrath Dermott, of North Babylon.
Other people in the crowd said that it has actually made driving more dangerous in their neighborhood.
"I can tell you, the accidents have at least doubled at the intersection I live in since this was in," said Dan McCarthy, of West Babylon. "So I kindly remind you--you're interrupting the quality of life of my family, you're jeopardizing the safety of the residents that live in my community and this really is just a money grab."
There was a 60% increase in accidents at intersections where red light cameras were installed, according to a three-year study paid for by the county that News 12 reported on last month.
Presiding Officer DuWayne Gregory says despite those statistics, the same study reveals an 11% decrease in accidents with injuries or fatalities.
Gregory says they take people's concerns seriously and that it's still an "adjustment period."
- Police say three people were hit by a car in Syosset Wednesday afternoon.Police say three people were hit by a car in Syosset Wednesday afternoon.
- Several Nassau County villages are taking the fight against the deadly opioid epidemic to federal court.
- The Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity was placed on interim suspension last month, according to the university.
- Nassau County is redoubling its efforts to repair its rockiest roads.Nassau County is redoubling its efforts to repair its rockiest roads.
- Halloween is just around the corner, and there's an innovative way to let people know that not all trick-or-treaters are the same.
- A new law in Nassau County limits where certain age-restricted products can be advertised.A new law in Nassau County limits where certain age-restricted products can be advertised.
- A total of five lawsuits were filed Tuesday against the Diocese of Rockville Centre alleging priest sex abuse from decades ago.
- The Senate on Wednesday rejected a Democratic attempt to give relief to people hit hardest by new limits on how much of their state and local tax bill they can deduct from federal taxes.
- As Tesla gets ready to report its earnings, investors and analysts are watching for an update on its Shanghai plant.
- The Jones Beach toll booths on the Wantagh Parkway were demolished Tuesday morning.The Jones Beach toll booths on the Wantagh Parkway were demolished Tuesday morning.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Each week, News 12's Lily Stolzberg heads into the kitchen with a different chef to cook up some delicious meals.