Hit-and-run driver who killed Adelphi student gets 5-15 years in prisonPosted: Updated:
The hit-and-run driver who killed an Adelphi University honors student after a fender-bender was sentenced Monday to five to 15 years in prison.
Days before her 19th birthday in 2017, Taranjit Parmar got into a minor crash in Levittown with Daniel Coppolo, a 33-year-old former FDNY EMS dispatcher from Deer Park.
Instead of exchanging insurance information, Coppolo started driving away and Parmar grabbed his door. She was run over and killed, and Coppolo sped away.
Police say Coppolo was arrested in Westbury days after the hit-and-run, when he pulled out a knife to rob a Target worker.
He eventually pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
In court, people were crying, some loudly sobbing, as Parmar's parents read victim impact statements describing their daughter and their loss.
Parmar's parents said after court that they were pleased with the sentence and thanked people for their support.
The judge read to the courtroom a letter written by Parmar herself, in which she wrote that she couldn't wait to fall in love and how she wanted to become an orthodontist.
"Life is too short to have regrets and I like the way I turned out to be," she wrote. "I'm so excited to see what the future has in store for us."
Coppolo addressed the court and apologized to Parmar's family: "Every single day, I'm haunted by my actions...I let everyone down."
Parmar's father Ranjit says Coppolo didn't show remorse for his actions immediately after the crash and calls the apology "meaningless."
Coppolo's father says he tried to get his son help for bipolar disorder and couldn't. He says Coppolo was off his medication at the time of the crash.
Man accused of killing college student in hit-and-run takes plea deal
Hit-and-run suspect faces manslaughter charge
FDNY employee held on $1M bail in minor crash turned deadly
Hit-and-run driver remains on the loose 1 month after killing teen
- A big change could help solve one of the biggest murder mysteries on Long Island.Suffolk County has given the go-ahead to use new technology that may help investigators solve the Gilgo Beach murders.
- A man is wanted for allegedly stealing four wind chimes from a porch in Farmingville.A man is wanted for allegedly stealing four wind chimes from a porch in Farmingville.
- The owner of a gas station in Deer Park says he was robbed Sunday night.The owner of a gas station in Deer Park says he was robbed Sunday night.
- Police say they're searching for a man who held up a Sound Beach gas station at gunpoint Saturday night.
- A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.
- A Shirley man who allegedly carjacked a woman in a Lake Grove Whole Food parking lot was arrested at his home Thursday night, according to Suffolk police.A Shirley man who allegedly carjacked a woman in a Lake Grove Whole Foods parking lot was arrested at his home Thursday night, according to Suffolk police.
- A suspected Bloods gang member has admitted to killing a Hempstead dad on Christmas Day.A suspected Bloods gang member has admitted to killing a Hempstead dad on Christmas Day.
- An Amityville man is under arrest in connection with a fatal overdose in Plainview.An Amityville man is under arrest in connection with a fatal overdose in Plainview.
- A running Corvette that was stolen from the parking lot of a 7-Eleven in Coram has been found.A running Corvette that was stolen from the parking lot of a 7-Eleven in Coram has been found.
- Police say they've arrested a man in connection to a string of burglaries at a Hicksville business.Police say they've arrested a man in connection to a string of burglaries at a Hicksville business.
- Town of Hempstead Supervisor Laura Gillen leveled new allegations Tuesday against the vendor who runs Hempstead Town's Malibu Beach Park.
- Police say a man attempted to rob a Dunkin' Donuts in Medford at knifepoint.Police say a man attempted to rob a Dunkin' in Medford at knifepoint.
- French automaker Renault is doubling down on hydrogen fuel cell technology.French automaker Renault is doubling down on hydrogen fuel cell technology.
- A Huntington Station woman with Down syndrome is making a difference on a national level and being recognized for it.
- Un nuevo concurso de fotos busca poner presión al MTA para que limpie los vagones del metro mas seguido.
- A Long Beach real estate company held a live painting event Saturday as a way to beautify the city and encourage other businesses to do the same.
- Sen. Charles Schumer unveiled a push to restore State and Local Tax Deduction (SALT) in an effort to work around the tax law’s cap.
- Social media app TikTok has removed nearly two dozen accounts responsible for posting ISIS propaganda.
- Former President Jimmy Carter had another fall at his home in Plains, Georgia, fracturing his pelvis and going to the hospital for treatment and observation, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.
- Suffolk officials unveiled a new tool Tuesday in the fight against the opioid epidemic.Suffolk officials unveiled a new tool Tuesday in the fight against the opioid epidemic.