Police: Man driving stolen vehicle damaged nearly 20 cars, injured 4 officersPosted: Updated:
Police say the driver of a stolen vehicle led officers on a wild chase Tuesday that began in New York City and ended in Island Park, leaving behind a trail of destruction.
Witnesses captured cellphone video of a black Chevy Avalanche barreling down Industrial Place in Island Park and slamming into vehicles.
Police officers had their guns drawn and screamed at the driver to exit the vehicle.
An NYPD spokesperson says police started pursuing the suspect around 10 a.m. in Jamaica, Queens. Police had responded to calls of a man slumped over his steering wheel and discovered the Chevy was reported stolen out of Nassau.
Police say the driver resisted arrest while being taken into custody.
The chaos transpired outside a number of repair shops. Nearly 20 vehicles in total were damaged. Many belong to workers or customers who dropped off their cars for repair.
News 12 is told that four officers suffered minor injuries.
The suspect has not yet been identified. Charges against him were pending.
- A big change could help solve one of the biggest murder mysteries on Long Island.Suffolk County has given the go-ahead to use new technology that may help investigators solve the Gilgo Beach murders.
- A man is wanted for allegedly stealing four wind chimes from a porch in Farmingville.A man is wanted for allegedly stealing four wind chimes from a porch in Farmingville.
- The owner of a gas station in Deer Park says he was robbed Sunday night.The owner of a gas station in Deer Park says he was robbed Sunday night.
- Police say they're searching for a man who held up a Sound Beach gas station at gunpoint Saturday night.Police say they're searching for a man who held up a Sound Beach gas station at gunpoint Saturday night.
- A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.
- A Shirley man who allegedly carjacked a woman in a Lake Grove Whole Food parking lot was arrested at his home Thursday night, according to Suffolk police.A Shirley man who allegedly carjacked a woman in a Lake Grove Whole Foods parking lot was arrested at his home Thursday night, according to Suffolk police.
- A suspected Bloods gang member has admitted to killing a Hempstead dad on Christmas Day.A suspected Bloods gang member has admitted to killing a Hempstead dad on Christmas Day.
- An Amityville man is under arrest in connection with a fatal overdose in Plainview.An Amityville man is under arrest in connection with a fatal overdose in Plainview.
- A running Corvette that was stolen from the parking lot of a 7-Eleven in Coram has been found.A running Corvette that was stolen from the parking lot of a 7-Eleven in Coram has been found.
- Police say they've arrested a man in connection to a string of burglaries at a Hicksville business.Police say they've arrested a man in connection to a string of burglaries at a Hicksville business.
- Town of Hempstead Supervisor Laura Gillen leveled new allegations Tuesday against the vendor who runs Hempstead Town's Malibu Beach Park.
- Police say a man attempted to rob a Dunkin' Donuts in Medford at knifepoint.Police say a man attempted to rob a Dunkin' in Medford at knifepoint.
- French automaker Renault is doubling down on hydrogen fuel cell technology.French automaker Renault is doubling down on hydrogen fuel cell technology.
- A Huntington Station woman with Down syndrome is making a difference on a national level and being recognized for it.
- Un nuevo concurso de fotos busca poner presión al MTA para que limpie los vagones del metro mas seguido.
- A Long Beach real estate company held a live painting event Saturday as a way to beautify the city and encourage other businesses to do the same.
- Sen. Charles Schumer unveiled a push to restore State and Local Tax Deduction (SALT) in an effort to work around the tax law’s cap.
- Social media app TikTok has removed nearly two dozen accounts responsible for posting ISIS propaganda.
- Former President Jimmy Carter had another fall at his home in Plains, Georgia, fracturing his pelvis and going to the hospital for treatment and observation, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.
- Suffolk officials unveiled a new tool Tuesday in the fight against the opioid epidemic.Suffolk officials unveiled a new tool Tuesday in the fight against the opioid epidemic.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Each week, News 12's Lily Stolzberg heads into the kitchen with a different chef to cook up some delicious meals.