Experts: Mild winter, previous work leaves Jersey Shore great shapePosted: Updated:
A mild winter and previously completed replenishment projects have left the Jersey Shore in great shape for the start of the summer tourism season.
Coastal experts say most beaches are nice and wide as a result of years of replenishment by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that kicked into high gear after Superstorm Sandy devastated the coast in 2012.
Places like Point Pleasant Beach and Ortley Beach have wider beaches than they've had in years.
The replenishment projects pump sand ashore to widen beaches to provide space for recreation, and help protect property.
Jon Miller, a coastal expert with Stevens Institute of Technology, says even in spots where beaches have eroded somewhat, the sand that forms sand bars offshore helps blunt the force of incoming waves.
State officials say that thousands of people are expected at the shore for Memorial Day weekend – the unofficial start to the summer season.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
- New Jersey's black bear hunt started just before sunrise, and both supporters and opponents came out to voice their opinions in Fredon, Sussex County.
- A viewer named Kelly tells News 12 her 5-year-old son threw a crab line, with no bait and just a sinker, into a lagoon in Lavallette – and hooked a 300-pound sunfish.
- Police in West Windsor are warning residents about a reported attempted luring after an 11-year-old boy was approached by a vehicle on his way home from school.
- Police say two teenagers were killed and a third was hospitalized with serious injuries after a crash that sent a Porsche plunging from an overpass onto train tracks, where it burst into flames.
- "Real Housewives of New Jersey" husband Joe Giudice is in Italy as he awaits the verdict of his deportation hearing.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Health experts in Paterson have confirmed that a worker at a popular grocery store tested positive for hepatitis A.
- State police are asking for the public’s help finding the man who used a bar to try and burglarize a pizzeria in Monmouth County.
- Big SNOW American Dream, the American Dream mega mall’s indoor ski slope, is set to open Dec. 5.Big SNOW American Dream, the American Dream mega mall’s indoor ski slope, is set to open Dec. 5.
- A handful of states, including two cities in New Jersey, are celebrating their first Indigenous Peoples' Day as part of a trend to move away from a day honoring Christopher Columbus.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit. Check out our list for breweries in your area.
News 12 New Jersey wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedNJ.
Craving something savory or sweet? It doesn't really matter when it comes to food trucks, where you can have it all -- you just have to know where to find them! Here is a list of food trucks and where you could find them in New Jersey.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
Do you like to gamble? Or maybe you're just looking to get away for a weekend or for a night? The tri-state area has a couple casinos that may do the trick. Here is a guide to casinos in the area.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- Here's the 2019 lineup for the Count Basie Center for the Performing Arts.Here's the 2019 lineup for the Count Basie Center for the Performing Arts.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.