Twenty injured after coming into contact with toxic chemicals at P.S. 142
Staff members at P.S. 142 were forced to evacuate due to a chemical spill.
Shortly after staff members at P.S. 142 on Baychester Avenue reported to work they were forced to evacuate the building after a chemical spill was discovered in a science lab. Vandals apparently snuck into the school over the weekend causing extensive damage inside the school.
Fire officials say several gallons of nitrous oxide spilled over in a second-floor science lab and mixed with another chemical, creating a dangerous substance. Twenty staff members were treated for chemical inhalation and skin irritation.
Police are now investigating.