Two seniors left homeless after fire destroys their Mott Haven home

Two Mott Haven residents are homeless after a fire rips through their home.

The fire started early Friday morning and quickly spread through the home on E. 143rd Street, damaging homes next door. Firefighters say one of the homeowners was home at the time of the fire but managed to get out safely. They say it took about one hour to get the fire under control.

The two residents are now homeless and the Red Cross has denied them shelter because they are homeowners. But the Red Cross says the couple declined to receive shelter after learning they were not eligible for city housing.

Fire officials say the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."