Fire in Mott Haven leaves some residents homeless just before the holidays

At least three Diego Beekman apartments were destroyed in a fire Thursday.

It took 138 firefighters more than an hour to get the fire under control. Residents were devastated especially since they have lost most of their belongings and gifts they were planning to give out during the holidays.

Fire officials say electrical wiring may have been the source of the blaze. Residents are pointing fingers at building management saying the roof needed repairs. They feel water seeped into the building and hit electrical wires causing the fire. Management claims repairs were underway.

The fire chief says there is too much damage to trace the cause of the fire back to a leaky roof.

No residents were injured in the fire. The Salvation Army and the Red Cross were at the scene offering help to the victims.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."