Medical examiner determines University Heights man died of natural causes
Family and friends of Bienvenido Baez had thought he died from having no heat in his apartment. But on Wednesday, the medical examiner determined that Baez died of natural causes.
Baez, 54, was found dead in his apartment on 98 West 183rd Street over the weekend. Relatives of Baez said he was asthmatic and believed that the freezing temperatures made his medical condition worse.
Residents of the building where Baez lived had even complained about not having heat since Thanksgiving following a gas leak. They claim the landlord only turns on heat when inspectors come to the building.
But the superintendent of the building says there was a problem with the boiler for two days and it was fixed. According to a spokesperson from the Department of Housing, Preservation and Development, a complaint was received from residents about the heat but the problem was resolved.