Four families left homeless after fire rips through their Hunts Point building

Four families in Hunts Point are left homeless just before Christmas.

Fire officials say the blaze started in a sixth floor apartment where a resident was boiling water on the stove but fell asleep. Randy Mouzen says he was using the stove and hot water to keep warm.

The blaze quickly spread to three other apartments on the top floor. Five people suffered minor injuries. Power in the building also had to be shut down for a while just as a precaution.

The Red Cross is helping the tenants who cannot return to their apartments.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."