Carbon monoxide fumes kill two people in Woodlawn section

Authorities say carbon monoxide fumes overcame a family of four, leaving a father and his daughter dead. A malfunctioning heating system inside the Woodlawn home may be to blame for the carbon monoxide leak.

Martin Duffy, 37; Valerie Duffy, 38; John Duffy, 12; and Hannan Duffy, 9, were found unconscious in the two-story apartment. Martin and Hannan were pronounced dead at Our Lady of Mercy Hospital. Valerie and John are listed in critical condition. The fumes did not seem to seriously affect the people living on the building's first floor.

Authorities evacuated the building as a precaution, and Con Edison shut off all power. Officials say the situation could have been avoided if the family had a carbon monoxide detector.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."