BX doctors urge residents to get carbon monoxide detectors after deadly accident

Doctors say having a carbon monoxide detector can save your life.

The push for Bronx residents to get detectors comes one day after two members of a Woodlawn family died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Martin Duffy, 37, and Hannan Duffy, 9, died after falling unconscious from the fumes. Two other family members, Valerie Duffy, 38 and John Duffy, 12, were taken to Jacobi Medical Center in critical condition. John was released from the hospital Wednesday but his mother is still being treated.

Officials say the Duffy's apartment did not have a carbon monoxide detector, which doctors at Jacobi Medical Center say can save your life. The detectors cost about $40, but some hardware store owners say the detectors are not exactly flying off the shelves.

Officials believe a malfunctioning heating system inside the Woodlawn home may be to blame for the carbon monoxide leak. The building was evacuated as a precaution.

Related Articles

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."