Elder Avenue residents allowed back home following explosion

Residents on Elder Avenue were finally allowed back into their homes Monday following a manhole explosion that knocked out power.

The explosion happened Sunday night shortly before midnight. Fire department officials detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the basement of 11 homes so they evacuated everyone. The fumes were apparently due to burning cables.

The Elder Avenue explosion was the third one in just 24 hours in the Bronx. Both Con Edison workers and fire officials say the cold weather and snowfall can cause the explosions. A spokesperson for Con Edison says the company has been working with the city to ease the effects of salt on underground wires.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."