Con Edison finds stray voltage in areas throughout the Bronx and city
The Grand Concourse is just one location where an electrified manhole was discovered by Con Edison.
Con Edison announced it has found stray voltage in manhole and service box covers throughout the Bronx, city and Westchester. The news comes following the death of a Manhattan woman, who was electrocuted after stepping on the cover of a Con Ed utility box. Officials say she was electrocuted because the service box was wrapped in electrical tape that had deteriorated.
Con Edison says more than 100 electrified manhole and utility box covers were found. In addition, 157 light poles were found to have stray voltage. Officials say manhole and utility box covers can become electrified due to corrosion, weather and aging equipment.
So far the Department of Transportation, who shares responsibility with Con Ed for the streetlights, says all of the light poles have been repaired or deactivated. In addition, Con Ed says all areas where dangerous conditions have been spotted have been repaird.
Generally, Con Edison says people are safe from the dangers of stray voltage because the rubber and leather on their shoes conducts little or no electricity.
Con Edison says the problem is industry wide and will continue to be investigated.