Carbon monoxide forces dozens from a Highbridge apartment complex

Elevated carbon monoxide levels left some 60 tenants on University Ave. out in the cold Monday.

Emergency workers were called to 1601 University Avenue after a number of tenants complained of not feeling well. Once on the scene, emergency crews quickly evacuated everyone from the building and tested for carbon monoxide. The workers did find elevated levels of the silent killer.

The incident sent more than 20 tenants to nearby hospitals to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials are still investigating. Meanwhile tenants have been allowed back into the building.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."