High school for troubled teens in the Bronx evacuated after kids become ill
More than 50 students were evacuated from a recreation center that houses a Bronx New Beginnings School Tuesday morning.
Fire officials, EMS workers and police were called to the school after students began complaining of nausea, headaches and cramps. Dozens were treated at the scene and one adult supervisor was taken to Lincoln Medical Center for evaluation.
Officials say students and staff became sick due to a herbicide that was being sprayed around the school by the parks department. Parks department officials say the spray is a non-toxic over the counter herbicide. Some believe the parks department may not have realized that students were inside the school since it is not a traditional school building.
The fire department declared the school building safe after about two hours. Students were then let back inside and their parents were notified about the situation.