Tips for Bronx residents on how to keep their families safe from carbon monoxide

As the winter nears, it's important to be aware of the dangers that carbon monoxide can present.

Three years ago, the Fontaine family of the Bronx lost a father to carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty furnace. That's why doctors and government officials strongly suggest that homeowners check furnaces and pick up carbon monoxide detectors. They say the detectors don't cost very much and can help save lives.

Members of the Fontaine family say if they had a detector it could have saved them a lot of grief.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."