Bronx doctors warn residents about choking hazards and prevention

A 5-year-old Bronx student died Tuesday after choking on a piece of candy. Now Bronx doctors are warning parents about the choking hazards of certain foods. Coralys Cruz, Jocelys Santiago?s mother, says her daughter was running up a flight of stairs to meet her when she suddenly choked on the candy. Cruz says her daughter stopped breathing and a teacher tried to resuscitate her. Santiago was rushed to Lincoln Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.The girl's mother and doctors are speaking out hoping to educate parents on dangerous choking hazards. The American Red Cross recommends parents take CPR courses to be prepared in the event of an emergency. Classes are offered in the Bronx every week.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."