BX residents may see fewer trucks after the City Council abandons fight over trash plan

Bronx residents may be seeing less trash and fewer garbage trucks after the City Council decided Thursday to abandon its fight with the mayor over his trash plan.

Last week, Mayor Bloomberg (R-NY) vetoed the City Council?s initial rejection of his garbage removal plan. The City Council set a date to vote on an override of the veto, but then canceled it.

City Council Speaker Gifford Miller says he was disappointed the mayor refused to negotiate. Miller also says he still wants to push for changes in the mayor?s trash plan. Under Bloomberg?s plan, each borough will be in charge of its own garbage, and 350 fewer garbage trucks will make trips through the Bronx each day.

Related Story:

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."