Manhole explosion in the Bronx causes minor injuries and loss of power

Some Bronx residents suffered minor injuries after a manhole erupted on 178th Street Sunday.

Firefighters say the current high demand for air conditioning overheated a transformer that led to a fire. Con Edison says the burning transformer in turn caused a manhole to explode.

Bronx residents say they were forced to evacuate their apartments while investigators tested for carbon monoxide and the buildings? structural safety. Residents also say this is not the first time this type of incident has occurred.

Firefighters say to avoid similar situations, residents should try to conserve energy when possible. For now, tenants near the explosion may be without power for some time.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."