Parkchester man dead, three hospitalized from carbon monoxide levels

A Parkchester tenant is dead and three others were taken to the hospital Monday after carbon monoxide filled their apartments.

Investigators say the stove in J.A. Atkinson?s apartment was left on and released fatal levels of carbon monoxide that also crept upstairs. Tenants at Parkchester South Condominiums say they were told the building is not required to have carbon monoxide detectors since it has an off-premise heating source.

Police say Atkinson was discovered by his home health aid. Investigators also say the other three victims are being treated at Jacobi Hospital.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."