Non-profit organization asks state for $100M to keep BX kids in school

Directions For Our Youth, a non-profit organization, along with students and elected officials, kicked off a campaign Wednesday asking the state for at least $100 million to keep Bronx kids in school.

The groups say 10 percent of the state?s expected $1 billion surplus should be used for youth programs across the Bronx and the state. the director of the organization, Dr. Cary Goodman, says the city eliminated its Dropout Prevention Program, despite the fact that nearly 20,000 city students dropped out of public high schools last year. He says if the campaign is successful, it could go toward reinstituting programs like that one.

The state Assembly will discuss the issue when it convenes in January.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."