Carbon monoxide scare prompts evacuation of P.S. 43 in Mott Haven

Students and staff at P.S. 43 were evacuated Friday after fire officials found high levels of carbon monoxide in the school's basement.

Seven hundred students were taken to three area schools while Con Ed and firefighters worked to air out the building. According to a fire chief, the carbon monoxide fumes came from an electrical fire in one of the conduits in the sidewalk outside the school.

No was injured in the incident and students were eventually allowed back into the building. Investigators are still trying to figure out the exact cause of the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."