Cable fire explodes manholes, creates fumes in the Bronx

Smoldering power cables sent manhole covers flying in the Bronx while fumes sent two people to the hospital Thursday.

Firefighters went door-to-door near 173rd Street and Hoe Avenue to check for carbon monoxide. They found dangerously high levels at Habibi?s Deli on Southern Boulevard. Workers say the fumes caused the owner to faint and led to two other people receiving treatment. Although the deli was officially closed, employees had a hard time keeping customers out because the doors were open to vent fumes.

Con Edison says the below-ground fire caused smoke to seep to the surface. Loud booms could be heard as the manhole covers flew off. The utility says power was largely uninterrupted, but residents say they wanted better communication on the incident.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."