Silent killer gas forces evacuation of Wakefield building

Elevated carbon monoxide levels led to 11 people going to the hospital and an evacuation of a problem-plagued Wakefield building Sunday.Firefighters detected high levels of the odorless gas known as a silent killer at 960 Nereid Ave. about 8:45 a.m. All residents, including one child, were forced to leave. The landlord was issued a violation for a broken boiler, which officials believe caused the gas leak. Renters were allowed back in the building hours later.

Tenants say the broken boiler is nothing new. They complain they haven?t had heat or water for five days. They also say their carpets are shredded and their doors are broken. Residents claim they went nine months with a broken elevator, despite having a 105-year-old neighbor on the third floor. The landlord did not return calls for comment.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."