Carbon monoxide forces Mott Haven tenants to evacuate apartment building

Tenants in one Bronx building got an unpleasant surprise Wednesday.Residents at 602 East 139th Street woke up around 3 a.m. to find smoke in their apartments and immediately called the fire department. Residents say when the firefighters arrived, they were told carbon monoxide was found coming from a faulty boiler. The residents say the boiler was put in only two days ago and are accusing the landlord of hiring cheap labor to install it. They say this is only the latest complaint they have had, but this time it could have cost them their lives. News 12 The Bronx was unable Wednesday morning to reach the landlord. No injuries were reported in the incident.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."