Tenants demand upgrades after carbon monoxide scare in Mott Haven

Tenants at a Mott Haven building are demanding their landlord make changes after dangerously high carbon monoxide levels forced them out of their homes.

Residents hung signs at their building Thursday to bring attention to the landlord who they say puts profits above people. Many tenants are looking for new homes because they say the management has neglected the building, putting their lives at risk. They claim the landlord is not taking responsibility for the faulty boiler that firefighters say may have caused the leak.

Authorities say the tenants could have died if they were in the building 30 minutes longer during the leak Wednesday. Housing inspectors installed new carbon monoxide detectors in some apartments after the incident. The Department of Housing Preservation and Development has 132 open violations on record for 602 E. 139th St., several of which are considered serious. The landlord had workers on site Thursday to fix the boiler.

Related Information

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."