Judge postpones Bronx, city school cell phone ban lawsuit

A Manhattan judge ruled Saturday to postpone the cell phone ban lawsuit that was filed by parents in the Bronx and citywide last year.

Parents filed the lawsuit against the city because they felt the school cell phone ban was unconstitutional. The Department of Education, however, says it is committed to the cell phone initiative but is exploring a new plan. The city is looking at an option for students to store their cell phones in coin-operated lockers during school hours. The DOE is looking for vendors to provide such a service off of school property.

Meanwhile, the judge handling the lawsuit said the case is on hold until January 18.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."