Bronx community mourns nine victims of Woodycrest Ave. fire

Posted: Updated:

Residents in the Bronx and the rest of the city are mourning the deaths of an adult and eight children killed in a fire Thursday.

Fire officials said the blaze on Woodycrest Ave. was sparked by an overloaded space heater and quickly spread through the home. Mayor Bloomberg (R-NYC) said the residents first tried to put out the fire themselves before calling for help. Officials also say the two smoke alarms in the home were without batteries.

There were a total of 22 people living in the building. The owner of the home, Moussa Magassa, arrived back from Mali and is expected to bury his wife and child there. The other children killed in the blaze are expected to be buried in New York. At a press conference Friday, Bloomberg offered his condolences to the families.

Many groups representing the Mali community have stepped forward offering help to those affected. City Council leaders are also banding together to get relief efforts for those who survived the fire and are now homeless.

At the press conference, Bloomberg announced that the city will be giving away free batteries for smoke detectors. Fire officials have also been busy handing out free smoke detectors to residents on Woodycrest Ave.

Click here for reaction from the school where the deceased children attended.

Related information: City sounds safety alarm after eight children, one adult killed in BX blaze Bronx hospitals treating survivors of deadly Woodycrest Ave. blaze

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."