Parkchester blaze sends family of five to the hospital

A family of five, including two teenagers and a child, was injured in a fire at a Parkchester home Friday morning.

Fire officials say a kitchen stove left on overnight led to the fire in a first-floor apartment on Unionport Road. Several neighbors tried to help the victims, but window bars prevented them from getting inside. Firefighters were able to finally break the bars and get the family out.

The five people injured were taken to Jacobi Medical Center. Four victims were listed in critical condition. The fifth adult victim is listed in fair condition. Two victims were placed in the hyperbaric chamber.

According to the Department of Buildings, the house is zoned properly for four apartments and three are occupied.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."