Grand Concourse fire victims reach out for help

Victims of an Easter Sunday fire at a Grand Concourse building reached out to elected officials and government agencies for help Friday.

One person died and dozens were injured in the fire earlier this month at 1749 Grand Concourse. At Friday's meeting, residents said that although the flames are gone, the root problems remain. The fire alarm system that's been broken for years still hasn't been fixed, residents complained. In addition, the Health Department said the building has mold and lead paint violations. The building is also without gas due to the fire, and Con Edison doesn't expect service to return for at least another month.

An attorney encouraged tenants at the meeting to file a class action lawsuit against the building's owner in family court. Government and elected officials' representatives said they'd take the information back and see what changes they can make.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."