Officials: Boy playing with lighter started fatal BX blaze

A great grandmother is dead because a boy playing with a lighter started a raging blaze in the Bronx Saturday, fire officials say.Responders were able to save 67-year-old Carmen Davila from 1136 Croes Ave., but they say she succumbed to injuries at Jacobi Medical Center.

"I couldn't do nothing. I was nothing. I wish I could have gone into the basement to get my mother, but I couldn't," the distraught victim's daughter, Marian Davila, said.

Witnesses say at least seven people jumped from the second and third floors, but no one suffered serious injuries.

The Davilas say out-of-town relatives were visiting and preparing for a birthday party when the fire broke out. The family is now planning a funeral instead of a celebration. Neighbors plan to honor the victim by lighting candles.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."