Ethiopian church damaged in early morning fire

Thick flames tore through the second and third floors of an Ethiopian church Friday, destroying part of the building.

Aschalew Beyene, the pastor of Emmanuel Worship Center, said he got a call from fire officials early Friday morning informing him of the blaze. Beyene said his staff was in shock.

Members and staff of the church say losing part of the center is like losing their home. They say the 100 members of East Tremont Avenue church are a very close group.

The worship center largely escaped the flames, but the Deacon of the church said the Sunday school and social hall were burned. An office and kitchen were damaged as well.

According to people who were on the scene of the fire, there was a strong gasoline odor. Fire officials say the blaze was an accidental, electrical one.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."