Carbon monoxide sends four workers to hospital

Four employees at a Bronx air conditioning repair store were taken to the hospital on Friday after being exposed to carbon monoxide fumes.

The store?s manager was initially alerted to the leak when one of his workers became sick. Four people were taken to Lincoln Hospital while two others were treated in emergency vehicles, officials say.

In total, 25 people were evacuated. The source of the fumes was later determined to be three gas-fired heaters. Employees were allowed to go back to work an hour after the fire department investigated the problem.

The air conditioning repair store and several other offices occupy the building on Walton Avenue.

Con Edison has temporarily shut down the heaters since the evacuation.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."