Bronx school evacuated after gas leak scare

Students at Sharon Baptist Head Start school in the Bronx were evacuated Wednesday morning after reports of a gas leak.

Workers who opened the doors of the school, located at Bathgate Avenue and 178th Street, say they smelled strong gas fumes, prompting them to shut off the gas and lead some 180 students out of the building.

?Some of the staff took off their jackets to cover the kids because some kids were already here,? says Veronica Clarke O?Neal, whose goddaughter attends the school.

Fire Chief Brian Fink says it appears a corroded pipe in the school?s basement might have sprung a leak. However, Con Edison workers say the gas meter did not detect any leaks in the three-story building.

?With gas there's always [the] possibility of an explosion, but it never got to that point,? Fink says.

According to a Con Edison employee, the gas smell could have wafted from anywhere outside of the school, even from a passing car. Still, Con Ed and hazmat crews inspected pipes on every floor of the building.

After about 45 minutes, officials cleared the school and allowed students and teachers back inside.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."