Bronx fire shakes up residents, injures 1 firefighter

Bronx residents are recovering from the shock and chaos of a fire that raged through a six-story building Saturday, sending residents fleeing into the streets.

At least 100 firefighters responded to the blaze on E. 222nd Street. Resident Denise Campbell said she was sleeping in her fifth-floor apartment when she smelled smoke, woke up to check the door and found it seeping into her apartment. She ran to safety.

A spokesperson for the fire department said the fire appeared to have been started by a cigarette. The fire traveled mostly as thick smoke to the fifth and sixth floors. The blaze was extinguished in 20 minutes. One firefighter suffered rib injuries, while six others were treated for smoke inhalation.

Resident Sylvia Rivera said she was afraid because it wasn't clear where the threat was coming from. Most tenants complained their smoke detectors never went off. Many who live in the building said they plan to demand answers from the landlord as to why their smoke detectors failed.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."