Busted boiler sends Bronx family to the hospital

A Bronx family was rushed to the hospital Tuesday morning after suffering smoke inhalation due to a broken boiler.

According to neighbors, a mother, her two children and a brother ended up in Bronx Lebanon Hospital after inhaling smoke that seeped out of a faulty boiler in the basement of their apartment building at 1327 Teller Ave.

Tenants say they were awakened by the smell of smoke, and many had difficulty breathing. They claim the boiler has not been working properly for over a year, polluting the building with soot.

?My neighbor called with the problem a long time ago, and they don't pay any attention,? says tenant Jenny Perez.

The condition of the family that suffered smoke inhalation remains unknown. The landlord of the building was not immediately available for comment.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."