Woman says landlord neglectful in Mount Hope fire

A Mount Hope woman who lost all she owned in a fire says she repeatedly complained about electrical problems in her apartment.

Tracy Woodall says when she returned to her Prospect Avenue apartment after dropping her kids at school Dec. 5, a blaze had ripped through her belongings. Woodall says the Red Cross gave her and her children shelter for a few days, but then she ran out of options.

"I called ? they told me my landlord is responsible for putting us up," Woodall says.

The building's management, Prospect Union Associates, allowed the family to live in an apartment next door to theirs. But Woodall says a conversation she had with a fire marshal is what concerned her most.

According to Woodall, the fire marshal said the fire started in her stove, which she had been complaining about for months. Woodall says she also told management about a leaky ceiling that was hovering over electrical outlets.

Woodall says she plans to sue her landlord for negligence and property damage.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."