CO leak sickens 18 Parkchester residents

A carbon monoxide leak inside an apartment building in Parkchester sickened 18 residents Monday night, officials say.

According to investigators, a boiler malfunction caused a carbon monoxide leak at 1512 Leland Ave., sending tenants to the hospital with headaches and breathing problems.

"I was dizzy," says Alice Miranda. "I thought I was getting a migraine, and I [took] aspirin."

Firefighters who arrived at the scene broke down doors and ordered tenants to keep their windows open on one of the coldest nights of the year. Tenants say without heat or hot water, they have to use space heaters to keep warm and boil water to take baths.

According to information posted on the Department of Buildings Web site, four defective boiler complaints had been placed by tenants of the Parkchester building in February alone. Violations on the boiler dating back to 1998 remain active.

Calls made to Hunter Property Management, which is in charge of the building, have not been returned.

Two of the tenants are in critical condition at Jacobi Medical Center.

Click here for tips on CO safety

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."