BX shelter evacuated; 50 people hospitalized

Nearly 50 people living in a homeless shelter on Manor Avenue were taken to the hospital Friday night after allegedly inhaling chemical fumes.

Residents at 1101 Manor Ave. say their building was evacuated after the chemicals sprayed inside the bodega on the ground floor started emitting fumes, sickening tenants.

"I thought I was having an asthma attack, but I had never had an asthma attack like that," says Esmie Clerk.

Raul Roman says his 13-year-old son likely saved his life by waking him up in the middle of the night.

"We were in deep sleep, and who knows what could have happened," he says.

Roman and close to 50 other tenants, including several children, were taken to Bronx Lebanon Hospital and treated with oxygen masks.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."