Firefighters save man in house fire

Lt. Joseph Ginley and firefighter Dave Daly, of Ladder 59, rescued a man from a burning house at 33 Buchanan Place Friday morning.

Ginley says he broke through a third-floor window as the fire burned below him. There he discovered an unconscious man in his 50s. ?Once I found him he was limp, like carrying a sack of potatoes. So I was lucky enough to get him outside of the apartment.?

With the help of Daly, Ginley was able to get the man down two flights of stairs.

The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital in serious condition suffering from smoke inhalation. Fire officials say he was later transported to Jacobi Medical Center and is expected to be fine.

Fire officials believe a burning candle started the fire, but are still investigating.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."