Cruger Ave. evacuation caused by gas leakPosted: Updated:
Dozens of Cruger Avenue apartments were evacuated Monday afternoon after residents smelled a strong odor of gas.
Consolidated Edison crews on the scene were drilled outside 3040 Cruger Ave. to reach the main gas line and place a cap on it to stop the gas leak. Firefighters arrived outside the building around 2:30 p.m. but were unable to find the main source of the leak.
Fire Chief Jim Mulrenan says Con Ed shut off the gas after firefighters vented the apartment building and neighboring buildings. Con Ed officials were unsure when the gas would be turned back on.
Residents who live at the building say they are relieved no one was sickened or injured by the gas leak. Families were able to return to their homes after waiting outdoors for more than two hours.