Several left homeless again after Melrose fire

Several Bronx families have been left homeless again after a fire in a Melrose apartment building.

The early Friday fire broke out at 375 East 154th St. Tenants say there were smoke detectors in the building, but they weren't working. The fire left the building without heat or electricity.

Many of the tenants used to live in shelters. The Red Cross has provided some help, but tenants say they may end up in a shelter once again.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."