Breach at JFK is 2nd at local airport this month
(AP) - A busy terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport was evacuated after a man opened a restricted door and set off an alarm, authorities said, making it the second known security breach at a New York-area airport this month.
The man, Jules Paul Bouloute, is of Haitian descent but lives in Brooklyn, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport. He was arrested on a charge of criminal trespass.
Bouloute was in Haiti during Tuesday's earthquake but took aflight on Saturday from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, toOrlando, Fla., where he caught a connecting flight to New YorkCity, Coleman said.
It wasn't immediately clear where Bouloute was when theearthquake struck, and it's unclear how or when he got from Haitito the Dominican Republic, Coleman said.
Bouloute's phone number was unlisted. He was expected to bearraigned Sunday in Queens, Coleman said. Port Authority policewere questioning him Saturday night.
Authorities earlier said the security breach was caused by apassenger who was exiting Kennedy's Terminal 8 and opened a doorthat was supposed to be used only by airport workers.
Coleman said security cameras recorded the incident just before3:30 p.m. A similar incident happened two weeks ago at a NewYork-area airport: A security breach at Newark LibertyInternational Airport in New Jersey on Jan. 3 forced passengers tobe re-screened.
A Rutgers University graduate student from China, Haisong Jiang,28, was charged last week with trespassing in the security breachat the Newark airport. Flights were grounded for hours andpassengers were re-screened while air safety officials searched fora man who had walked through the exit of a security checkpoint.
Jiang's arraignment is set for Jan. 28 in Newark.
In August, a terminal at LaGuardia was evacuated after policetackled a disturbed man who was carrying a device that looked likea bomb but turned out to be harmless.