Dramatic rescue prompts fire safety

An apartment fire where a young mother dangled her young baby out of a fourth-floor window Sunday has prompted questions about fire safety.

Officials say that during a fire those trapped inside should get into one room together with a window. After stuffing a towel or cloth under the door to prevent smoke inhalation, residents should open the top and bottom parts of the window very slowly.

Through the window, victims should motion to firefighters or passersby that there is a fire. If small children are in the room, someone should place a hand over their mouths to prevent smoke inhalation.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."