I.S. 74 evacuated due to high CO levels

I.S. 74 was evacuated Wednesday morning after fire officials found high carbon monoxide levels in the building.

No injuries have been reported as a result of carbon monoxide levels. A young girl was taken to the hospital after tripping down the stairs during the evacuation, according to an assistant principal at I.S. 74.

The Department of Education says the carbon monoxide appears to be coming from a heating system in the basement.

Fire officials say students should be able to get back within the building and classes may resume.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."