I.S. 74 students sent home after CO scare

One student was taken to a hospital for treatment Wednesday after I.S. 74 was evacuated due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

Fire officials say they received a call about a student with a head injury who had fallen down the stairs. When they arrived, they detected high levels of carbon monoxide.

Students and faculty were allowed to return about eight hours after the building was evacuated. School officials say the children spent the first three hours on the playground before they were able to move to an auditorium at P.S. 48.

An assistant principal says class will be in session Thursday morning.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."