Students back at I.S. 74 after CO scare

Students at a Hunts Point school returned to their normally scheduled classes Thursday after being evacuated during a carbon monoxide scare the day before.

Firefighters responded to a child with a head injury at I.S. 74 Wednesday. Officials say when they arrived, their carbon monoxide detectors alerted them to the high levels of the deadly gas.

Six hundred students were evacuated and taken to a nearby school, where they waited for their parents.

Fire officials say it could take them several days to determine the source of the carbon monoxide leak. In the meantime, the Department of Education says the air quality at the school is back to normal.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."