Fire destroys century-old hallmark

Firefighters battled a blaze that started in a hardware store overnight but were unable to save the centurys-old hallmark.

The fire destroyed two businesses, a dry cleaners and the B Electric Hardware Store in Wakefield. Fire officials say the fire started before 1 a.m. within the hardware store.

Owners say they are devastated. The shop was started in the 1890s and moved to the Bronx in the 1950s.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."